Every period property we survey is different, we promise to give you every option available, allowing you to make the best decision depending on your priorities and budget.
When looking at enhancing your traditional sash or timber windows most projects typically fall in to one of 3 categories, you’ll find examples of each on our projects page.
Renovation, repair and draught proofing
Maintain and repair your existing traditional windows
- Traditionally the most common and cost-effective way to improve the appearance and performance of your existing sash windows.
- Unlike modern windows, sash windows were designed to be taken apart and maintained.
- Our skilled teams carefully dismantle your existing windows allowing them to repair every part required, often removing years of old paint (where applicable) and installing a fully hidden draught proofing system.
- Renovation can provide excellent results, and lots of sash windows we look at can be completely restored to a good standard.
- You’ll be left with windows free from draughts, aesthetically improved and well balanced making them smooth and easy to operate.
- Renovation and restoration repairs are favoured by conservation offices in Warwickshire and up and down the country in listed buildings and conservation areas.
New slim double glazed sashes
Repair box frames, install new sashes to match existing
- Times and technology have moved on considerably in recent years. We’ve seen some drastic improvements in specialist slim double glazing, designed specifically to maintain the beauty and elegance of sash windows without affecting their dimensions. Most existing sash windows can be fully repaired and restored, however installing replacement double glazed sashes is by far our most popular option, accounting for nearly 75% of what we do. We only use hardwood and Accoya engineered timbers, guaranteed against rot and swelling for 50 years.
- We use only the best and proven traditional joiners to produce replacement sashes to match your existing moulds, profiles and dimensions specific to your existing windows.
- We take apart your existing windows to carry out any repairs required to the existing box frames, and install your new matching sashes where the old ones once were.
- Our slim double glazing brings your sash windows extremely close to modern building regulations, even though most period properties are exempt.
- Our slim double glazing is so discreet its almost completely invisible to the naked eye, allowing you to considerably improve your sash windows efficiency whilst maintaining the period features which play such an important role in preserving our period streets, towns and cities across the Warwickshire and the Midlands.
- Don’t be mislead by any companies who tell you complete replacement of both box frames and sashes is necessary. Existing sash window frames are mostly hidden in the walls, nearly always in a good condition, and seldom require replacement. Saving you money whilst avoiding disruption of existing brick work.
- There are various glass options available to you when replacing your existing sashes.
- All our slim sash window double glazing is filled with Krypton gas, one of the most energy efficient insulating inert gases on the planet.
- Overwhelmingly people choose clear slim double glazed units.
- Other options include; frosted and traditional Victorian patterned units, often in bathrooms or front doors.
- Specialist slim soundproofing units for sash windows are available, designed for people living on busy roads.
- Modern double glazing where required to meet the most recent building regulations in new builds.
- In grade listed buildings where your existing sliding sashes are beyond economical repair, we can match your existing sashes with single glazing to match the originals.
- If your home is listed or you live in a conservation area you may need to speak with your local conservation office before installing double glazed sashes. We regularly deal with local conservation officers and can guide you through every stage of the process.
Complete replacement sash windows
Replacement box frames and sashes
We are pleased to see people are increasingly putting proper timber sash windows back into period houses. Restoring the beauty of our precious period properties across Warwickshire and the Midlands.
Demand for complete replacement traditional sash windows is growing year on year.
- We can measure moulds and profiles to match original neighbouring properties, should any original sash windows still exist on your street.
Where period sash windows still exist, complete replacement is rarely necessary. However, if like so many houses, your traditional windows have been replaced with metal or uPVC – this is the answer for you. We'll take out the plastics and restore back to timber.
We only produce complete sash windows in hardwood and Accoya engineered timber - guaranteed against rot for 50 years, and known in the industry around the world for its high performance and being kind to our environment.
- Complete replacements can be traditional operated by weights and pulleys, where space still exists in the wall cavity.
- Complete replacements can also be operated by high performance spring balances where required.
Sash window painting
Unlike many companies, we know you want a complete service from start to finish, and our team are well versed in the art of painting a sash window.
Painting sash windows may sound like an easy task but it takes experience, time and skill to maintain the fine lines and elegance of a sash window. Let us give your period sash windows the final touch they deserve.
- Maintaining your sash windows every 5-8 years will keep them working well and looking great for generations.
Gone are the days all sash windows were painted white! This may be the most popular option, however many people choose all kinds of off-whites and pastel shades to compliment the exterior or interior of their homes. We match all traditional Farrow & Ball shades, let us know what you’d like and leave the rest to us.
- We can paint different colours inside and out to compliment your home.
- Paint technology has come a long way over the past few years, with water based paints now taking the lead, and guaranteed for longer.